Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Response to "A Quibble"

My father-in-law to be sent me this article, which I thought was fascinating. I wrote a response e-mail to him that I thought might be appreciated by the wide-readership (now over 50 hits/month, probably not more than 25 of those by me) that this blog draws.

Please enjoy:

I think it really hit the nail on the head, when the author points out how detrimental (and amazingly prevalent) anti-intellectualism really is. It is incredibly sad, and does not bode well for the future of our country. In a similar vein, its sad to see people label Obama with titles like "elitist"--these degrading terms further that devaluation of thoughtful consideration, intellectual rigor, and the value of science. Reflecting on the article really makes me appreciate the education my parents provided for me--as much as I disagree with some of their religious views--they instilled a high value on knowledge within me, that still motivates me today. Having now spent significant time working to become an expert in some very small corner of science, I'm beginning to appreciate just how hard it is to find the truth on anything. It takes an incredible time of thought and discipline to get to the bottom--or as close as you can--of the issues that present themselves. I think this is a major factor that discourages people who love the immediate gratification of knowing something right away.

My first critique of the article is the lack of acknowledgment that nearly as many people drink the 'left-wing Kool-Aid' without at all engaging or seeking to understand the issues--much like those on the far-right. Secondly, the author didn't mention how necessary it is to learn to deal with uncertainty, and the impact that that plays on the anti-intellectual culture. Seeking to get to the bottom of issues, whether drawing the line on acceptable interrogation techniques, or drawing up a new healthcare model, almost invariably lead you to a conclusion that contains some degree of uncertainty. Learning to accept that uncertainty, and deal with it, is crucial to being comfortable with a decision while maintaining flexibility to respond to changes in the situation at hand. Dealing with and accepting uncertainty is not very enjoyable or satisfying. Contrast this with believing that you know the 'absolute truth' or that your opinion trumps all others, and you can see why a simple-minded anti-intellectual approach would be embraced by a wide sector of people who are seeking rapid gratification in all areas of life.

1 comment:

  1. Worst Blog you've written to date. The reason being that the article you're referencing is not readable unless I pay. Therefore, I can not manage to engage in your writing because the subject of it is nothing I can reference.

    ReplyDelete